Tuesday, 29 September 2026

1813-15 battles in 20mm for AoE and V&F - (part 44) Prussians have a go with a first and strange option

 


In the last few months I manage to get everything necessary to build Blücher´s army at brigade level. First I got plenty of unpainted boxes from the exchange made with TC, then I found a few more  boxes here and there and finally Vinted helped finding the last few boxes. In total some 30 boxes were gathered, Hat, Airfix, Italeri and Revell. 
Funilly enough I was quick finding all artillery and cavalry, exactly the opposite of what I was able to do in the previous 28mm Prussian army were Perry and Warlord cheap and available plastics filled quicky the ranks of the line infantry and the Landwehr. 
Even so there is a need of 306 figures for the Line infantry for this project (six figures in three ranks per stand) and only 280 were on the stash as I used plenty of the Revell Prussians for 1812 Russians. So a quick order from Aliexpress was meant to solve the issue: in their site there is a shop that sells sprues of 1/72nd Hat Miniatures that I´m used to order from. But sometimes I get the wrong thing as I believe the level of organization of that shop is the same of the friend´s football groups before Whatssapp. And this time it happened again: I got 28mm marching Prussians instead of 1/72nd scale, probably the only ones they have, but, also probably, they can´t distinguish the two sizes. On the positive side I was getting seven sprues instead of the six that were ordered. 
A few years ago I painted some of these marching 28mm Hat figures but with Perry plastic heads and the result was quite nice with these cheaper and slender figures standing pretty well next to the Perry and Warlord. The issue with these figures in terms of 28mm is the small heads (hence the usage of the much bigger Perry´s) which, on the other side are not much bigger then 1/72nd scale heads. So, by burning the feet of these figures you get what you can see on the pictures, figures that go along with some the large (oversized...) 1/72nd scale figures by Italeri and even Hat. Judge it by yourself and comment, please, as I need some (positive) comments in order to overcome this heresy.


Here they are with burned boots next to the Russian Opolchenie Hat officer (left) and the Prussian Line officer by Italeri. Obviously the 28mm are larger bulkier figures but even so, due to their small faces, the difference is not that much comparing to 1/72nd figures sculpted on the fatty and big side.


These conversions will go mostly to the IR25 FreiKorps as they were mostly young (and well fed) people. 
What say you? 

Next: Steinmetz brigade

2 comments:

  1. Not so sure that being well fed makes your head grow twice as large as anybody else’s! I don’t think they fit unless you are going to bury them very deep in a column.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I´m sure they don´t fit but with the larger Italeri figures it will not be that bad.

    ReplyDelete