Wednesday 26 July 2023

Borodino 1812 (part 7): 1st Russian Grenadier infantry division and Cuirassiers for AOE in 20mm


The 1st Grenadier division is famous among modellers due to the famous mitre caps of the Pavlov regiment. In fact I have all three regiments (each regiment representing one brigade in AoE terms) with mitre caps which is only good only up to 1805, the grenadiers transitioning to the Kiwer with large plume then. The only exception is the obvious Pavlov regiment which was allowed to keep their treasured mitres up to the end of the Napoleonic wars due to their bravery at Austerlitz. Well, then two of the regiments - Tauride and Saint Petersburg - are not much "Borodino" like but this is due to my eagerness and usual exaggeration in having bought three boxes of the Italeri grenadiers, simply because they were on the shelves, when apparently only one was necessary. Even so, I'm really thinking about using my Borodino Russians for all Napoleonic campaigns as I doubt that I will start a Russian army all over again just because of a different shako before 1812.  Besides, there would be a few more dozen of figures placed somewhere and without destiny, something that at 55 yo I´m trying to avoid, as its my wish/dream to finish the stash one day. That is, if the mailman lets! 
The Jägers are the usual Esci with a few Revell and StreletsR in the middle. 


This is the only true Borodino type regiment of this Grenadier lot. The Pavlov regiment is made of Italeri Grenadiers and a Zvezda officer with Kiwer. 


The cloth of the back part of the mitres are slightly different from regiment to regiment with white, blue and red color in the horizontal part. 


The officers were converted to bicorne hats using bicorne heads enlarged with GreenStuff. The standard bearers were also converted from some marching and standing Italeri figures. 


The Czar Cuirassier Regiment, representing Borosdin Brigade, is made of Hat figures with a converted standard bearer. The flag was hand painted as I could not find a printed one. 


As usual I painted one more farm from Mário Laranja's gifts. My main idea continues to be the Austrian farms and houses for the Wagram campaign but I kept it on the generic side so they can be used in many scenarios and ages. 


This farm is made of two different parts with the right part detachable and capable of being positioned against any other wall of another farm. 


The trick is leaving a bit a bit of wall out of the base, which gives plenty of possible variations to this annex. 

Next: more Borodino Russians, or eventually Gallipoli,  but only in September due to holidays. 

4 comments:

  1. Muito cool. Bom trabalho como sempre.👍

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great. What base sizes do you use for the three ranks units ? I have a lot of 20mm I plan to use for 1809 campaign. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. I´m also around the 1809 campaign. For all 3 rank armies I use 3x5cm bases (4x5cm for cavalry and artillery) and 3,5X5cm for 2 rank, like Portuguese and British. I felt that need when making Brit/Portuguese and French for the Peninsula as its not very logical to base 2 and 3 rank the same way, in my opinion (if making Wurttembergers don't forget that these guys also fought 2 rank).

    ReplyDelete