Sunday 15 September 2024

Little Bighorn 1876 in 20mm (part 5) - Indian Teepees, wagons and horse holders

 


This post had to be done now because it was occupying too much space on the modelling table due to its big bases. I was also eager to see how these markers would look after painting. 


The horse holders have four horses each which has always been a problem for the dismounted cavalry who looses 1/4 of his fire power. At Little Bighorn they were also a prime target for the Indians who knew that the US skirmish line would not only loose their mounts but also half of its Springfield cartridges, as 50 of them were carried by the horse´s saddle pockets. 

The horses are a mixture of Napoleonic Esci and ACW Italeri with the aim of having only horses at rest. The horse holders are 1/32 resized Airfix cowboys that I will also use in the next post about dismounted cavalry. 


Each stand was painted according to the first three company horse colors. 


This is the type of unit that Custer asked Benteen to come to his aid with the final sentence "PS: bring packs" as they had extra ammunition for the regiment. This is a box from Imex with ACW wagons and they suit reasonably the wagon train guarded by the 130 strong 12th company (the pack train with its mules is still missing). 


This is nowadays my biggest problem as I´m around Chinese shops trying to find more Teepees. The Sioux/Cheyenne camp at Little Bighorn was one of the biggest in Indian history and Custer when attacking its center  was deceived by the teees covering its true size as he thought he was attacking its left flank. 
These Teepees were cheap toys bought decades ago and could be found in many Euro and Chinese shops. But, as it happens quite often, now that I want more I can´t find them anywhere. If I find bigger Teepees I plan to cut them at the bottom so they become the size of these ones. I also had Atlantic Teepees but they simply vanished into many pieces while cleaning them. 

Next: 7th US Cavalry skirmish lines

2 comments:

  1. Very nice, I made generic sets of horses to which I add one standing figure from whatever nation needed them on whatever battlefield - Circassian, French colonial Spahis, Mexicans (both sides) and US 1916 cavalry :) I was lucky enough to get several Atlantic teepees among a joblot of western civilians I bought a year or so back - they are hard to find and expensive. I alsohave those Imex wagons these serve all over the place - models ion my collection have to be fexible :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fortunate to have a large space for the hobby and by using mostly plastics I tend to do the opposite and make everything specific for a period or campaign.

      Delete