Thursday 22 October 2020

Rapid Fire! NW Europe 44/45 in 20mm - German 21cm Mörser 18


Well, frankly I don't like to say negative remarks about models. For me, models are pieces of heaven that God sent to earth in the form of small bits of plastic, resin or metal for the fruition and pleasure of men (and woman alike as it keeps us at home). But this one simply drove me crazy! Why Revell needs to place 130 small parts, sometimes 3 parts in a 5mm lenght of a model thats ends up being 15cm long? This one was clearly designed for that friend of ours that when in a modelling contest abandons the conversation with you as soon as the loudspeaker announces that the winners will be revealed in seconds. There he goes running like crazy, expecting to receive 1st prize! After all he spent a good part of his life looking behind the magnifying lens, marvelled at the spark of the cigar on its 1/72nd figure or the button on the belt on its last jet fighter's seat that no one else can see!!  This is really a model for them: dozens of small parts, parts divided into other small parts, parts, parts, parts! And look at the box, almost the size of an Airfix playset with 100 figures and a castle!

The model on its own is a marvel of engineering, everything fits well and the end result is very good. But can't Revell understand that their biggests buyers are not our friends that run crazy as soon as the loudspeaker calls them - I mean the true (static) modellers - but we, the wargamers, or model hoarders? We are the ones that after buying 2 or 3 times the same model, still think that 2 or 3 more will be necessary as we never know when Nostradamus can be right. I wish PSC, Armourfast or alike could have made this one as I never missed these brands as much as I did in the last four previous and precious days. When the last tiny part was glued I just felt a big relief and pleasure as if smoking a cigar after getting laid with Miss Colombia... 


The artillerymen are old Matchbox figures. They have little gear and several poses are in standing positions. With new arms made of Greenstuff they become ideal for the job. The figures using the ram should be some 4 or 5 but that would extend the base too much and space is something that I start to value. The hands and arms are too big in this picture and they were trimmed to look more real when the paste dried out. The officer is the eternal Airfix DAK officer in the copied enlarged version. 

 
For the ram I used a stretched paper clip.
 

This Mörser becomes very spacious due to the long earth anchors. At the same time they are a nice detail making a very realistic model. 


I still couldn't find some proper ammunition for this gun and so I only used some ammunition boxes. They exist in resin but as usual are quite expensive. I´m thinking about using the ones from the German guns of the D-Day Airfix playset but first I need to find were I put them.  

The trailer is another nice detail but also a multi XXXX part thing. In the end this model is a good addition with the drawback of being heavy on building time. But hey, it was a gift from a friend so what the heck!...

Next: More Market Garden additions.  

14 comments:

  1. Fabulous effort mate, I really like the look of that beast

    I have two in the stash, and was contemplating a third as a towed one, a project to do by the pool I think in Summer perhaps!

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. But dont clean the brush in the pool water, ok?

      Delete
  2. That looks spectacular - great work.

    I have one Revell one and an SHQ. Think I will delight in making the SHQ one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Offer the revell and delight yourself with the Shq.

      Delete
  3. Dozens of small parts; yuk! End result; fantastic! Worth the effort as it looks most impressive.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James. When I beat revell is not because they are bad kits, on the contrary, they are great pieces of engineering, but unfortunately not designed for wargamers.

      Delete
  4. A peça é fenomenal. O trabalho extraordinário, agora so falta juntar o reboque, camião ou sdkfz...lol -:) Gabraço

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mê querido amigo, obrigado. Só falta de resto isso tudo.

      Delete
  5. Exceptional work JP, the painting is terrific and the base too. You should be proud of the achievement after such a tough build.

    I reckon you need to do some more though, for a full regiment!.
    Just kidding,
    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul. This was and offer from a friend. Im sure he didnt mean any harm. But he did 😀

      Delete
  6. Only one? You’re slacking... 😆 Great to see Matchbox getting an outing, too!
    I agree with you about ‘pro modellers’. I also blame them for the thinning of paint pigments because they use airbrushes for everything. I watched one airbrush a 1/72 seat black. Lord knows how long it took him to thin the paint to the right consistency, spray, clean his brush etc. Would take me 30 seconds with a squirt of Vallejo. And that includes cleaning the brush!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeffers. Ive just received another batch of BPM 3d prints and Shellhole scenics metal. That made me happy again 😁

      Delete
  7. Excellent build, João.

    I hadn't realised that the 21cm Mörser 18 used earth anchors. It does take up a lot of space though.

    Regards, Chris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris. I have the Skytrex model (170mm) and it came without earth anchors and I had to make a set of them but smaller. But yes they are space consuming.

      Delete