Friday 1 January 2021

Rapid Fire! Normandy 1944 in 20mm - More Italian Trucks for the 12th Pz SS and a few unwanted guests.

A group of Jabos almost spot this HJ group at the road bent. Or maybe they did ...but had the tastier Panzers as targets from the beginning? We will never know.

The End 

Knowing that this War Novel could perfectly be worthy of the Nobel Prize of Literature, the last few days were used to finish a few more Italian trucks for the HJ in Normandy. In fact the four vehicles are the only new stuff as the anti-tank guns and the aircrafts were finished a long time ago. 



The TL37 are BPM 3d prints that I was waiting to have for a long time in my collection as they were used by the HJ as tows of the 75mm Pak40 guns. I squeezed some melting plastic torsos into the driving seat and some DAK Esci figures as passengers. Also some SHQ 75mm Pak ammo boxes were used and the usual stowage, Jerrycans and camouflage net. The Trousers of the passengers were also painted in the Italian camouflaged fabric. 


The TL37 with the Pak guns and crew from the Airfix Opel Blitz and Pak40 set.


By looking at these AT stands made years ago its visible a much more careful painting and basing by then. Then age started to speed, I looked at the stash 360 degrees around me and decided "I have to do something- I need to be faster!". The result is not good but at least I can see the stash going down unless when the bell rings and its the mailman...


These pictures were taken in Turnhout, Belgium, in 1944 and show the TL37 towing the PAK40 under the service of the 12th SS Pz Div. Hitlerjugend. 



Apparently the weight and long lines of the PAK40 are causing some towing issues...



Also from MiniGeneral came these two Fiat 626. The only addition is the camouflage net on top of the canvas cover. 


These P-51B Die-Casts from Luppa had a simple change by painting light blue the interior of the canopy. This is one of the most important fighter bombers of late war that I still didn't have. On the contrary there are ready on the shelves five P-51Ds not used for the ground attack mission as they were air superiority fighters. Unless, of course if you want to follow the way how 'Saving Private Ryan' ends, that is with a P-51D destroying a Tiger with a well aimed bomb!


Finally, and again a Die-Cast from Luppa, one more P-47D 'Razorback' joined USAAF shelves after a quick paint of the canopy. Dont forget that its easier to take ou the canopy and paint it blue in the inside. Like this all metal structure of the canopy will not be overpainted and will stay clearly visible. 


Next: wether France 1940 or Panzer Lehr Grenadiers for Normandy 44. 

8 comments:

  1. Happy New Year JP. I don't often comment but I always enjoy looking at your stuff. Very interested in your observation about sacrificing a little care for more speed as age advances - food for thought there for me... Anyway, your rate of output is quite phenomenal!

    Cheers, Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. For years I collected boxes on top of boxes thinking I was immortal. But then closing 50 (I'm 52 by now) I started phisiotherpy to the hands, legs hurt after football, etc and I realised I had to speed up my stash.Besides having two boys who prefer football and the prospect of them selling my stuff on ebay horrifies me. Happy new year.

      Delete
  2. More nice stuff JP that I always enjoy seeing. Happy New Year and look forward to more fo your stuff this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Steve. This lockdown is bad in everything less the time you have for this hobby. Happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stuff mate,

    This year my focus is coming back to ww2, hopefully I can get something close to your production rate!

    Like those diecast fighters must pick up some myself

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your 100 YW is something. I'll look at them very carefully when I'm back to it. Have a great year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually think your ‘speed production’ gives a better result. Remember, it only has to look good at arm’s length!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're great Jeffers. Even so I wish I had my older eyes. The ones I have now are not do good :)

      Delete