Wednesday 23 March 2022

Rapid Fire! NW Europe 1944-45 in 20mm - German late heavy reconnaissance



In late 1944 a group of wheeled and tracked German vehicles leaves the protection of Reich-Gazprom forest and probes in the open... in danger of finishing its fuel...

I had this group half built/painted for years and finally they are done. 


These two were the first 234/4 I had. They are Matchbox Puma converted into the 234/4 by opening/carving out the turret support area and inserting a 75mm Pak gun from Airfix. The sides shoud have had a small castle around which I didn´t build and instead some two component paste was used in the form of foliage to disguise the missing parts. The gun was placed a bit too forward but more on that later.

I was thinking these would be enough has I had the idea that Germans never managed to gather many of them in the same division. In fact recently I found a list on the web with the reference of all known units to have had 234/4 (Feldgrau page The Sd.Kfz 234 thread, p.11) in which the maximum allotted to any of the units was 6 of them. But the list only mentions 42 of the 89 Sd.Kfz 234/4 built (no track of the other 47 yet)  so there is always the chance of other units being lucky to have had a larger number. 


So one day another 234/4 came to my hands and this time was the old Airfix model with the wrong mud guards. This time I did the opposite of the previous models and placed Matchbox mud guards in the Airfix body. The result was much better than the previous models as the gun is in the correct position and not too forward. Besides, crewed with Skytrex models it became a very reasonable model.

I was thinking that these three would be more than enough...
 

... until Altaya released a few years ago its magnificent die-cast model. So, with 4 models of the 234/4 I just wish one day to find a damn unit with had at least 20 of the real things!


Last month Super Mário Laranja sent me these two marvelous resin printed PzII Ausf, L "Luchs". This is one of the very few WWII German models I still didn´t have and are pretty useful as they can be used in the Eastern Front (4.PD) and Normandy (9.PD). 116.PD is another possibility as I read somewhere. But the two last PDs belonged to the LXVII Pz Korps in Normandy so there may be a confusion here and 116.PD had no Luchs. Well, this is the pleasure about reading about German Panzers in WW2 - you are never certain :) 

Next: maybe another video on another big unit. 

2 comments:

  1. Cracking work there as always JP. I remember reading about the wrong mud guards on the Airfix model many years ago! I think I had the Matchbox Puma AC which I loved. Many happy memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. Even so its funny to do these conversions I prefer quick builds or 3d prints nowadays. Time is precíous.

      Delete