Tuesday 21 July 2020

Rapid Fire! Normandy 1944 in 20mm - Wurframmen SP time


The Wurframmen of the 2nd PD and PzAbt 205 prepare to unleash a Rocket volley that will - finally, and at the 99th atempt- send the allies back to England from vere zei should never have come!
After showing you my prowesses in the German language lets get back to models!  


I already  have finished some six Esci Nebelwerfers and a few conversions of static Nebelwerfers for Omaha but these ones offer the possibility of having them on tracks. I had these two Skytrex Renault UE Wurframmen for many years and it was about time to be done with them. The Germans converted some 40 of them, 20 each of these two types, and the allies faced them in Normandy. 


Both types, rear and side Wurframmen, got a big Altaya base for aircraft as I wanted to portray them with crew around. These came from the Esci Nebelwerfer and so are particularly fit for the job. The uniforms are Heer while the wheeled Nebelwerfers crews I showed you in the Mortain series are in the SS garments of the 17th PzGrenDiv. 


The last one is the famous Stuka Zu Fuss in an all Esci stand, both vehicled and crew. coming from different boxes.  The Sdkfz 251 Stuka Zu Fuss in Normandy is a relatively recent finding and it was aparently used at least by the Pionner battalion 38 of the 2nd PD as a picture of a destroyed and abandoned one in Falaise shows. 


Sometimes I wonder how efective the German 43-45 vehicle camouflage was. I don't know if its the effect of my kind of ground painting but the German vehicles really blend, at least seen from above, one of the main aims of camouflage. 

Next: some WW2 aircraft, 12th SS transport or something else like a return to moderns. 

6 comments:

  1. G'Day JP, I just learned something. I never knew about these very interesting German conversions before. I might add a couple to my "To Do" list. Cheers Greg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Greg. And with 40 made they were a relatively common sight in Normandy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, gorgeous vehicles here!👍👍

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Phil. Its the cuteness of German conversions of French machines.

    ReplyDelete